Turkish PM: No plans to send ground troops into Syria #Beekhaybee

Turkey has no plans to send ground troops into
Syria to fight the Islamic State group, the prime
minister says.
Ahmet Davutoglu said air strikes on IS positions
close to the Syria/Turkey border and on Kurdish
PKK separatists in Iraq could “change the game”.
Turkey’s actions are in response to violent attacks
last week in Turkey itself, including the death of 32
activists in a bombing in Suruc.
Nato is to hold an emergency meeting on Tuesday
to discuss the situation.
Turkish tanks shelled the Kurdish-held village of
Zur Maghar in northern Syria overnight, injuring at
least four fighters, according to a statement from
the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) on
Monday morning.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights
monitoring group also reported the Turkish fire on
Zur Maghar.
Mr Davutoglu told a meeting of Turkish newspaper
editors that, following Turkey’s military action,
there were now “new conditions” in the regional
conflict.
“The presence of a Turkey that can use its force
effectively can lead to consequences which can
change the game in Syria, Iraq and the entire
region; everyone should see that,” the Hurriyet
Daily News quoted him as saying.
Turkey – a Nato member – has requested
Tuesday’s meeting based on Article 4 of the the
organisation’s founding treaty, which allows
members to request such a meeting if their
territorial integrity or security is threatened.
“When Turkey requests for such a meeting I think
it’s very right and very timely to have a meeting
where we address the turmoil and the instability
we see in Syria, Iraq and surrounding and close to
Nato borders of Turkey,” Nato Secretary General
Jens Stoltenberg told the BBC.
Mr Davutoglu said Turkey was prepared to work
with the Syrian Kurdish PYD group – which has
links to the PKK (Kurdistan Workers’ Party) –
provided it did not pose a threat to Turkey and
severed relations with Syrian President Bashar al-
Assad.

News source : BBC.com

Advertisements